What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are used to smooth the appearance of deep grooves and facial wrinkles. They are produced using Hyaluronic Acid, a substance that is found occurring naturally in the body. They lift and smooth folds and wrinkles by adding volume, and give definition and structural support to the face.
Are dermal fillers safe?
As dermal fillers are made up of molecular structures of Hyaluronic Acid, a substance already taking place in the body, there is a significantly decreased risk of an adverse reaction, and so are very safe treatments.
How do dermal fillers work?
Dermal fillers work by adding volume to the injection sites. They can fill wrinkles and plump the cheeks, thereby giving your face a fresher, more youthful look. The Hyaluronic Acid in the filler also attracts water molecules to the injected area so moisture is locked in to the area and your skin will feel more hydrated.
Which areas are suitable for dermal fillers?
The areas most commonly treated with dermal fillers are:
- Naso-labial folds or laughter lines – these run down the side of the nose to the mouth and can be filled to give a smooth smile.
- Marionette lines or oral commissure lines -these lines run down from the corners of the mouth and give a stern appearance to the face. These lines can be treated with dermal fillers.
- Cheek enhancement – as we age, the fat in our faces decreases and migrates downwards causing your face to sag. Dermal fillers plump up the cheeks and give them a younger look.
How does the treatment take place?
15 – 20 minutes before the treatment takes place, a prescription anaesthetic cream is applied to the injection sites. The filler is injected at precise locations and the skin is massaged to smooth the material. During the treatment you will have a mirror so that you can see the results which appear immediately. The whole treatment takes around 30 minutes.
Who is this treatment suitable for?
Dermal Fillers are suitable for most people, however not if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
How long do dermal fillers last?
Depending on the areas treated, and the metabolism rate of the patient, dermal fillers can last from 6-12 months. The Hyaluronic Acid is broken down by the body so repeat treatments will be necessary if you wish to maintain a specific look.
If you suffer from cold sores, make sure that you have an oral prescription prior to your treatment as it may provoke an outbreak.
Common injection related effects may include:
These symptoms should resolve in 2-7 days
- Do not take aspirin, ibuprofen or advil for 2 days after treatment – AVOID them for 1 week prior to treatment.
- Use ice on swollen areas immediately after treatment
- Avoid exercise, except for walking, for 24 hours after treatment
The Eden Medical Clinic doctors are highly experienced in carrying out dermal fillers to give you outstanding results that will have you feeling younger and more confident.
Book your free consultation today!